- The Physical Therapy Licensure Compact is live in Missouri, North Dakota, and Tennessee.
- New York State legislature just closed with the following:
- Increased the limit on Medicaid therapy visits from 20 to 40
- A bill to move PTA from a certification to licensure has passed the Senate
- Direct access legislation (S.6024/A.7873) is still in committee.
- The Journal of Orthopedic & Sports Physical Therapy has chosen its first female editor in chief, Clare Ardern.
John’s Research Corner:
Article: Risk for Lower Extremity Injury After Concussion: A Matched Cohort Study in Soldiers, Kardouni et al (July 2018 JOSPT)
- Previous research has investigated that the rate of lower extremity musculoskeletal injuries are higher in collegiate and professional athletes following concussion.
- The researchers were able to follow US active Army soldiers between 2005 and 2009 for two years. To minimize any confounding bias, all ICD-9 codes (remember, when data was collected) regarding head injuries or lower extremity injuries were removed. Both concussed and non-concussed cohorts were selected from soldiers with NO history of these injuries prior to enrollment in the study.
- After all exclusions, a total of 11,526 individuals that sustained a concussion in the reporting period that did NOT have a previous history of lower extremity injuries. The researchers matched the same amount of “non-concussed” soldiers to the “concussed group” who had no concussion during the reporting period. They were matched based on similar age, sex, rank, length of service, deployment status, and military career field.
- These results demonstrate that soldiers who sustained a concussion, showed a 38% increased hazard of lower extremity injury over the 2-year follow-up period, compared to those without a concussion. To narrow down the details further, the injury risk within 15-months of concussion was 45%
- Should we questions are current 7-10 day return to school/sport or begin to create longer intervals of rest that allow the rehabilitation of balance and dynamic abilities with greater difficulty able to be performed in these high-end athletes that include soldiers?
Talus Media News is a subsidiary of Talus Media: PT Views & PT News. You can find all interviews mentioned in this newscast on our sister channel, Talus Media Talks. Check us out on Twitter & Facebook & Instagram!