Download the episode here on iTunes or in your favorite podcast app.
In this episode, Todd Davenport joins host Rachel Jermann to break down the social determinants of health (#sdoh), and the impact of gun violence on physical therapists. They discuss the following questions:
- What are the social determinants of health?
- We have to help the patient in front of us…but how does that translate to helping solve he “upstream” issues?
- Check out the 2011 Chronic Disease Disparities Report: Social Determinants from Hawai’i State Department of Health (it has an awesome graphic!)
- Gun control has been a political hot topic with the recent spate of shootings. How does gun violence impact the PT profession?
- The American Physical Therapy Association recently voted to support essential health benefits (EHBs) despite the controversy surrounding reproductive rights and EHBs. Is this a good shift in the profession? What do you think it means?
Resources mentioned in this episode:
1. Butkus R, Doherty R, Daniel H, for the Health and Public Policy Committee of the American College of Physicians. Reducing Firearm-Related Injuries and Deaths in the United States: Executive Summary of a Policy Position Paper From the American College of Physicians. Ann Intern Med. ;160:858–860. doi: 10.7326/M14-0216
2. Firearm legislation and firearm mortality in the USA: a cross-sectional, state-level study. Kalesan, Bindu et al.The Lancet , Volume 387 , Issue 10030 , 1847 – 1855
3. Wintemute GJ, Betz ME, Ranney ML. Yes, You Can: Physicians, Patients, and Firearms. Ann Intern Med. ;165:205–213. doi: 10.7326/M15-2905
Talus Media Talks is a subsidiary of Talus Media: The PT News Project. You can find physical therapy news on our sister channel, Talus Media News. Check us out on Twitter, Facebook, & Instagram @TalusMedia.